State specific dental assistant training requirements for Arizona, including links to important governing body websites and course providers. Find dental assistant schools in Arizona here.
Arizona has three options for dental assistants, depending on the tasks you would like to perform. Arizona does not license dental assistants, but does require assistants who perform certain procedures hold a certificate.
- Dental Assistant (Unlicensed) – May perform basic supportive tasks under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist.
- Dental Assistant with Radiography Certification by Credential – May perform basic supportive tasks under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist, and may take patient X-Rays.
- Dental Assistant with Coronal Polishing Certificate – May perform basic supportive tasks under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist, and may perform coronal polishing.
To obtain your Radiography Certification, you have two options.
- A dental assistant may expose radiographs for dental diagnostic purposes under the general supervision of a dentist licensed if the assistant has passed the state exams.The Arizona Board of Dental Examiners requires successful completion of two examinations, both offered through DANB, an independent testing agency.• DANB’s Radiation Health & Safety (RHS) Component Exam• Arizona Radiologic Proficiency Exam (AZ RAD)..
- If you’re already certified in another jurisdiction, you may apply by credentials. You will need to fill out the application (link below). In addition to the application, a letter of endorsement must be sent directly to the Arizona State Board of Dental Examiners from the jurisdiction(s) in which you are certified in dental radiology. The letter must verify your certification and that successful completion of a written dental radiography examination was required for certification. You will also need to submit a statement of citizenship.
To obtain your Coronal Polishing Certificate:
- A dental assistant may polish the natural and restored surfaces of the teeth under the general supervision of a dentist licensed if the assistant has passed an examination approved by the board. Coronal Polishing by dental assistants is permitted in Arizona when the dental assistant has passed the Arizona Coronal Polish Exam administered by the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB).The cost for taking the DANB Coronal Polish exam is $150. The Coronal Polish Certificate is an additional $30. You will need to contact DANB directly to schedule and pay for your exam.
You may find additional information through these links to your state’s official dental board page, or one of our sponsors.
Candidates for the Radiography Certification must also fill out a Statement of Citizenship – https://dentalboard.az.gov/sites/default/files/Citizenship_Statement_9-2014.pdf
Application for Radiography Certification by Credential – https://dentalboard.az.gov/sites/default/files/DA_Cred_Fact_Sheet_App_2015-12.pdf
Application for Coronal Polishing Certificate – https://dentalboard.az.gov/sites/default/files/da_coronal.pdf