Dental Assistant Training Requirements and Programs Maine

State specific dental assistant training requirements and programs for Maine, including links to important governing body websites and course providers.

Maine has three types of Dental Assistants

  1. Dental Assistant
  2. Certified Dental Assistant (through DANB)
  3. Expanded Function Dental Assistant

Dental Assistant

A dental assistant in Maine does not need to complete any formal training or examination process to begin working under the supervision of a licensed dentist, and may perform basic supportive tasks.

In order to be permitted to take x-rays in the state of Maine as a dental assistant, some basic requirements and training do need to be met.  A dental assistant must be at least 18 years old, have a high school diploma or GED, and current certification in CPR.

You will then also need to pass the Dental Assisting National Board’s (DANB) Radiation Health and Safety Exam, for which there are no course prerequisites.  If you are already certified as a CDA (Certified Dental Assistant) through the DANB, that would be sufficient since certification includes the RHS exam.

As an alternative, you may complete a dental radiography course accredited by a CODA accredited dental assisting program and pass an exam on techniques and safety for dental radiography.

The last step to apply for a license to take x-rays, or radiographs, is to pass the Maine Board of Dental Examiners jurisprudence exam (score of 85% or better).

Certified Dental Assistant (through DANB)

A current certification through the DANB (Dental Assisting National Board) allows you to complete a few more tasks than a dental assistant who is not certified, and may also increase your chances of employment or a higher starting pay.

Expanded Function Dental Assistant

Expanded Function Dental Assistants must complete an Expanded Functions program at a CODA accredited school.  Qualification to enter an Expanded Functions training program is either being a Certified Dental Assistant (CDA), or a Registered Dental Hygienist.  If you’re already licensed or certified in another state as an Expanded Function Dental Assistant, you may apply by credentials to the Maine Board.

Helpful Links:

You may find additional information through these links to your state’s official dental board page, or one of our sponsors.

State of Maine Board of Dental Examiners –