State specific dental assistant training requirements and programs for Pennsylvania, including links to important governing body websites and course providers. Find dental assistant schools in Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania has two types of Dental Assistants
- Dental Assistant
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
A dental assistant in Pennsylvania may perform basic supportive tasks under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist. There are no formal training or education requirements at this level. Dental Assistants may NOT take x-rays without Authorization to Perform Radiographical Procedures.
To obtain Authorization to Perform Radiographical Procedures, a dental assistant must first pass the national Dental Assisting National Board Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) exam, and then submit an application for authorization to perform dental radiologic procedures to the Pennsylvania State Board of Dentistry.
Expanded Function Dental Assistant
To be eligible to sit for the Expanded Function Dental Assistant Exam, you must meet one of the following educational requirements:
- Graduate from an expanded function dental assisting program at an accredited two-year college or other accredited institution, which offers an associate degree, approved by the Pennsylvania State Board of Dentistry.
- Graduated from an accredited dental hygiene program (accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of the American Dental Association) which required the successful completion of at least seventy-five (75) hours of clinical and didactic instruction in restorative functions.
- Completed a certification program in expanded function dental assisting of at least two hundred (200) hours of clinical and didactic instruction from an accredited dental assisting program, approved by the Pennsylvania State Board of Dentistry.
And these additional requirements:
- Complete Application with $20 processing fee
- Current CPR certification card (front and back) in Infant, Child and Adult CPR **Online courses NOT accepted**
- Pass Criminal Background Check
- Letter of Good Standing from any other state where you hold an Expanded Function Dental Assistant License
- Resume of Work Experience since your EFDA education
You may find additional information through these links to your state’s official dental board page, or one of our sponsors.
Pennsylvania State Board of Dentistry – www.dos.pa.gov/den