State specific dental assistant training requirements and programs for South Dakota, including links to important governing body websites and course providers. Find dental assistant schools in South Dakota.
South Dakota has two levels of Dental Assistants
- Dental Assistant / Dental Radiographer
- Advanced Dental Assistant
If you will not be taking x-rays, you may perform basic supportive tasks as a dental assistant under the supervision of a licensed dentist. Any dental assistant who takes x-rays in a dental office must be licensed by the State Board of Dentistry as a dental radiographer.
To become a Dental Radiographer you will need to submit the following:
1. Completed application with $40 fee
2. Copy of your birth certificate, documentation of any name change, and copy of your high school diploma or GED
3. Verification of ONE of the following:
a. Completion of a 16 hour Board approved program or course of study within six months of application;
b. Verification that you are a Certified Dental Assistant through the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB)
c. Completion of a 16 hour Board approved program or course of study and verification that you are registered by a dental licensing board as a dental radiographer in a different state.
4. If applicable, a verification letter from each state in which you have been registered.
Advanced Dental Assistant
Any dental assistant who performs expanded functions in a dental office must be licensed by the State Board of Dentistry as an Advanced Dental Assistant.
To obtain a license you must submit the following:
1. Completed Application with $40 fee
2. Copies of:
- Birth Certificate
- High School Diploma or GED
- Documentation for any name changes
- Current CPR card (Only from American Heart Association for the Healthcare Provider or American Red Cross for the Professional Rescuer)
3. Proof of ONE of the following:
Graduation from an accredited dental assisting school. Lake Area Technical Institute (LATI) is an accredited dental assisting school. Graduates of LATI must submit a copy of your diploma or verification from the school of graduate status. Western Dakota Technical Institute (WDTI) and Southeast Technical Institute (SETI) dental assisting programs have also been approved by the Board. Graduates of the WDTI and SETI programs must submit a copy of the classroom training certificate and the on-the-job training certificate from the school;
Verification that you are a Certified Dental Assistant through the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB);
Verification of successful completion of the Expanded Functions Dental Assistant course at Lake Area Technical Institute (approximately 60 hours on-line/40 hours hands on instruction); or
Certificate of competency from the South Dakota State Board of Dentistry (ARSD 20:43:08:06);
4. If applicable, a verification letter from each state in which you have been registered as a dental assistant.
You may find additional information through these links to your state’s official dental board page, or one of our sponsors.
South Dakota Board of Dentistry – https://www.sdboardofdentistry.com/about/questions.asp
Applications / Forms – https://www.sdboardofdentistry.com/licensure/appsDocs.asp