Dental Assistant Training Requirements and Programs Washington

State specific dental assistant training requirements and programs for Washington, including links to important governing body websites and course providers.  Find dental assistant schools in Washington.

Washington has three types of Dental Assistants

  1. Registered Dental Assistant
  2. Expanded Function Dental Auxiliary
  3. Dental Anesthesia Assistant

Dental Assistant

You must be registered to work as a dental assistant in Washington State.  To register as a dental assistant you must complete an application, pay the application fee and complete seven hours of AIDS/HIV education.  You must also hold a current and valid healthcare provider basic life support (BLS) certification within 45 days of beginning employment.

Expanded Function Dental Auxiliary

To become an expanded function dental auxiliary, you must complete an approved education program, including a seven hour course on AIDS/HIV, pass the approved written and clinical exams, complete application, and pay application fee.

The Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) provides the written restorative exam (WARE). The Western Regional Exam Board (WREB) provides the clinical restorative exam.

Approved Schools include:

Bellingham Technical College

Christine Harwood 3028 Lindbergh Ave. Bellingham, WA 98225 360-725-8345 Approved as of September 17, 2010, with reporting requirements

Institute for Dental Education and Leadership Success

Shanalee Ackerman, Program Director 111 SE Everett Mall Way, Bldg D Everett, WA 98208 360-630-1364 Approved as of March 26, 2010

Military Training

Navy – 1997 Expanded Function Program curriculum Navy – 2007 Advanced Dental Assistant Program curriculum Approved as of September 9, 2011

Seattle Central Community College

Jolene Hartnett, RDH 1701 Broadway Seattle, WA 98122 206-587-4186 Approved as of July 24, 2009

South Puget Sound Community College

Joan Martin, CDA, RDA, MA.Ed 2011 Mottman Rd. Olympia, WA 98512-6292 360-754-7711  Approved as of March 19, 2009

Spokane Community College

J. Patricia Norman, EFDA 1810 N. Greene St. MS 2090 Spokane, WA 99217-5399 509-533-7300 Approved as of December 4, 2008

If you’re currently licensed in another state as an Expanded Function Dental Assistant, you still must have a Washington EFDA license to practice in Washington. To be eligible for a license as an EFDA without examination you must provide evidence of a current license in another state with substantially equivalent licensing standards as determined by the commission.

Dental Anesthesia Assistant

To become certified as a Dental Anesthesia Assistant, one must submit:

  • An application with fee – (Application fee is $100.00. Renewal fee is $75.00 annually)
  • Satisfactory evidence of:
    • Commission-approved dental anesthesia assistant training course that includes intravenous access or phlebotomy. Training must include experience starting and maintaining intravenous lines.
    • Commission-approved Basic Life Support (BLS) Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) course.
    • Valid general anesthesia permit of oral and maxillofacial surgeon or a dental anesthesiologist.

Helpful Links:

You may find additional information through these links to your state’s official dental board page, or one of our sponsors.

Washington State Department of Health –