Dental Assistant Training Requirements and Programs Michigan

State specific dental assistant training requirements and programs for Michigan, including links to important governing body websites and course providers.  Find dental assistant schools in Michigan.

Michigan has two levels of dental assistants:

1. Unlicensed Dental Assistant – An unlicensed dental assistant may work under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist, but may only perform limited functions.

2. Registered Dental Assistant – A Registered Dental Assistant must graduate from a dental assisting program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA).  They must then pass a written and clinical exam given by the Michigan Board of Dentistry, and then may apply for licensure.  A Registered Dental Assistant can legally perform basic supportive procedures as well as expanded functions under the supervision and delegation of a licensed dentist.

Registered Dental Assistants must also undergo a fingerprint check and background investigation, and need to have a current CPR certification.

Only Registered Dental Assistants or individuals who have completed approved radiography training may take radiographs.

The Certified Dental Assistant credential obtained through the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) is NOT recognized in Michigan, and a CDA is still considered an unlicensed assistant unless the Registered Dental Assistant requirements are met.

Does Michigan offer reciprocity to dental assistants in other states?  No, the state of Michigan will not recognize any outside testing agency.  In order to become an RDA, the dental assistant must take Michigan’s RDA exam.

How much are the application & exam fees?  The Registered Dental Assistant License & Examination fee is $100.

Helpful Links:

You may find additional information through these links to your state’s official dental board page, or one of our sponsors.

Dental Assistant Licensure Instructions: